Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Challenge

Of course January rolls around and we are all taking stock of what we did (and didn't do) in 2011 and making resolutions for 2012.  I actually hate making New Year's resolutions, so instead I've created a goal: cook my way through Jamie's Great Britain, cover to cover doing at least one recipe per week.  Yes, I've seen "Julie & Julia" and loved it, so why not take on a challenge of my own?  I love Jamie's philosophy for "real food" and this will definitely be an adventure in cooking/eating but I think it will be a really fun project.  I've always loved to cook and within the last few years my husband Matt and I have really come to like and appreciate all things British so this cookbook is really quite fitting.  I'm not sure Matt knew what he was signing up for when he got me this book for Christmas!

Here is the breakdown of recipes:
Breakfast - 11
Soups - 10 
Salads - 16
Pub Grub - 10
New British Classics- 6
Afternoon Tea - 15
Seaside - 12
Pies & Puddings - 6
Sunday Lunch - 9
Wild Food - 8
Vegetables - 16
Puddings - 15
Condiments - 28



Starting next week I will be starting this challenge beginning with Breakfasts and working my way through.  I'm very excited and Matt has promised to at least TRY everything!  Who else can I rope into TRYING everything?  Any takers??


4 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so excited to see how all the recipes go! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck kiddo! I'll try anything except blood pudding and kidney pie.....well almost anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, have you made anything yet? And did I add that you are nuts to even try something that is also known as blood pudding? I bet you my life savings that Jake won't even eat that! (Good thing I'm broke in case I lose. That dog has been known to eat worse I guess). Good luck Sis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't made anything yet... starting this week with the first recipe: One-Pan Breakfast. Everything else in the recipe sounds great so we'll see. Oh and I'll be using the cast iron skillet you got us! Not even sure if I can find black pudding around here. Matt thinks maybe Lewandoski's Market (where Dad likes to get his kielbasa). I guess blood sausage is a big Polish thing too. If Matt and I die you're in our will so you may be coming into some money!

      Delete