Sunday, February 19, 2012

Empire Roast Chicken

I stuck my hand in a chicken!  I repeat: I stuck my hand in a chicken!!  Ew....

Marinade for chicken: grated garlic, ginger and red chili (The market didn't have red chilies so I bought a poblano pepper.  Not as spicy but still yummy!); tomato puree, ground coriander, tumeric, garam masala cumin, yoghurt (I used sour cream),  2 lemons and sea salt.


Mix all the ingredients up and massage it into the chicken.  Before I did this I had to have Matt cut the neck off the chicken.  Oh my ew....


The smell from the marinade was amazing.  It made my fridge smell great!  I let the marinade sit for about 7 hours.

Clean up a bunch of potatoes and cut the bigger ones in half.  Par boil and throw a whole lemon in the water.  Once the potatoes are done pierce the lemon a few times and put it into the chicken.



Get the oven going at 400 F and arrange the shelves so the roasting pan is at the bottom, chicken in the middle and potatoes on top.

For the gravy (this goes in roasting pan at bottom of oven): 1 cinnamon stick, onions (forgot to include in pic), cloves, white wine vinegar, Worcestershire, flour and chicken stock.


Drain the potatoes and let them steam dry.  The mix with salt, pepper, olive oil, garam masala, tumeric, a halved bulb of garlic, red chili (again, used the poblano pepper), 2 diced tomatoes and fresh cilantro.  Give the potatoes a toss with this concoction and I tell you what, you will think you died and went to heaven.  This smelled so stinking good!


Pop the lemon inside the chicken and place it on the middle rack directly above the roasting pan.  Bake the chicken for 90 minutes.  Once the chicken has been in for 40 minutes, put the potatoes on the top shelf and let those go the duration of the chicken timer.  Pull everything out and oh my was this yummy!  The gravy burned to a crisp however, so I'm not sure what I did wrong there.  The bird and potatoes were great though!


1 comment:

  1. oh my word this looks SO good... I'm gonna be bugging you for the recipe sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete