Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pale Ale Fondue

The flavor on this was so good but I've come to the conclusion that I can't melt cheese to save my life...



Use a box grater to shred half a white onion and sauté that with in a little olive oil and some chopped thyme.


Add some ale to the sauce pan and bring to a simmer.  I used Sierra Nevada pale ale.  If you've never had this and you like beer, this is a must try!


Put a bowl on top of another sauce pan with simmering water in the bottom.  Pour the onion/beer mixture into the bowl and slowly add shredded cheese.  I used Havarti and  sharp cheddar.  I'm not sure if the cheddar I used wasn't good quality or what but the cheese separated on me and it was just gloppy.  The Havarti melted great but that cheddar... I think it ruined it for me.  The flavor was great but I just couldn't get over the texture.  I have tried to melt cheese before into something smooth and it just hasn't worked for me.  Ever.  I think I'm just cheese challenged!

2 comments:

  1. Are you using full fat cheese or reduced fat? Reduced will do that. Otherwise, you might be cooking it at too high of a temp. If neither of those is the problem, try just adding it all at once. Sometimes I think if you add it too slow, the cheese that has been in the longest starts to desintegrate, resulting in the "glop" effect. Good luck! Are you choosing a special recipe for Easter? I think you should!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to get this recipe from you, we really want to try it!
    Janet

    ReplyDelete